Dienstag, 24. Februar 2015

Education: Mendel

'Gregor Johann Mendel (20 July 1822 – 6 January 1884) was a German-speaking Moravian scientist and Augustinian friar who gained posthumous fame as the founder of the modern science of genetics. Though farmers had known for centuries that crossbreeding of animals and plants could favor certain desirable traits, Mendel's pea plant experiments conducted between 1856 and 1863 established many of the rules of heredity, now referred to as the laws of Mendelian inheritance'
(Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregor_Mendel)

The "Mendel" region is part of the Genome project on VIBE Grid. On my last trip I wrote a bit about the "Hooke" region and got a comment by Stefan Gasior, one of the persons responsible for the VIBE Grid ( I assume), which I like to publish because it as a good additional information about the project:
'The OpenSim Genome is a recreation of Max Chatnoir's Genome Island in Second Life (Mary Ann Clark, Ph.D. in RL). 
The four islands cover genetics (Mendel), molecular biology (Crick), cell biology (Hooke), and Huxley is the landing platform. Mary Ann decided on separate estate managers each name Max. But, Max Chatnoir is the SL avatar most people are familiar with. If you are interested in using it for biology classes, please contact me via G+.'

With all that pre-information I like to start on my little tour over "Mendel".
Looking from a distance onto "Mendel", it's build, according to the landscape, is pretty simple. It is just flat and green with a few building structures on it. One can see a few greenhouses and an old mansion in the northwestern corner of the region, where I will start my journey.

I am not sure if the house is a historical rebuild of a house Gregor Mendel spent some time or just a fantasy build. But at least one can see an old portrait painting of Mr. Mendel in the upper floor.


From the house I walked to the so called "Garden Path". You can find a red sphere on the front wall of the house between the two entrances. This is a teleporter to the path.

At the entrance of the graden, one will see a board, showing the layout of the exhibition garden. The board will give a notecard on click, informing about the individual sections.

Because I am not much familiar with this genetics, I can't say not much to this. So I will just show some pictures of what to see in the garden. But it might be a very interesting piece for somebody who wants to know more.









I have to mention that some of the boards contain slideshows, so give it a click.
And I have to correct myself on the building, which I mistakenly called a mansion. In the exhibition one will find a teleporter saying it will teleport you to the "Abbey".
True, Gregor Mendel was a Augustinian friar, when working on his science of genetics.



Destination:
VIBE Grid, Region Mendel
genome.bio-se.info:9000:mendel

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen